Shepperton Lock and its 'B' weir have been extensively renovated by the Environment Agency, the lock benefiting from a £550,000 Environment Agency investment to protect the river bank and provide a new secure layby for boats.
Located on the Surrey/Middlesex border, near where the rivers Wey and Bourne meet the Thames, this lock is a short distance from D'Oyly Carte Island, once home to the producer of the Gilbert and Sullivan operas. Above the lock is Pharaoh's Island, given to Lord Nelson after the Battle of the Nile.
Below the nearby weir are some of the best slalom waters on the Thames. Every year, Shepperton Canoe Club organises competitions. This is where national champions train.
The Domesday Survey of 1086 documents a weir at Shepperton and a few hundred years later the village is recognised as a barge halt as the Thames became an important highway. In the late 13th and 14th centuries, barges carried barley grown at nearby Halliford and brought in building materials as the area developed.
In 1813 the City of London Corporation built a timber pound lock here at Shepperton and it was not until 1899 when a new stone lock was constructed alongside the existing one. Then the earlier chamber was filled in.
Today the lock is very similar to that built in 1899, although the old timber manual gate-opening beams have been removed and hydraulic operation installed in the 1960s.
Ducks, geese, swans, grebes, coots and moorhens and kingfishers are common at the lock. There are also parakeets in abundance.